The spiritual Crisis of the church:
• The luxurious lifestyle of the high clergy.
• The lack of culture and weakening of moral standards of the clergy, who Set a bad example.
• The buying and selling of ecclesiastical positions for personal economic Benefit
• The selling of papal bulls and indulgences, which made the church wealthy Under the pretense of pardoning sins and granting access to heaven.
The Lutheran Reformation
In 1517, Martin Luther, a German Augustinian monk, nailed a list of 95 Theses against the catholic faith.
There was a new religion based on:
• Salvation through faith
• The authority of the Bible.
• Universal priesthood
The Lutheran doctrine denied the sovereignty of the Pope. Removed religious Orders and the worship of images and reduced the sacraments to two: batspim and The Eucharist (communion)