The gallery of characters who appear in LSI denotes the author's strong concern for human beings. Some of the characters acquire highlighted other elements of the
novel: the landscape has value in the relationship that the characters have with him: the universe
depends on the nature theme, ideology and the relationships between the characters, the society presented is conditioned by the lifestyle of each other, and so on. The Holy Innocents is thus a novel of character: the axis from which depends the whole anatomy, the characters. Quantitatively and qualitatively, the largest proportion of the text reserves the portrayal of human figures.
The number of characters who move through the farm is considerably high. We can identify three groups of characters:
• Characters in the foreground. The characters are marginalized as Azariah, which was
constitutes true protagonist of the novel. In their environment, and from their perspective, the Milanas acquired a relevant role. Paco, Lower helps to know the world of the humble and participates in the basic actions of the plot. The innocence and submission of the humble are enhanced with the presence of an antagonist, Master Ivan, at the crossroads negative traits: contempt of nature, arrogant contempt for others, and so on. Around these characters is drawn to the conflict in the novel.
• Characters in the background. The human profile of these characters is blurred. Make up this family background of Paco, Lower (regulate it, the girl Girl, the Quirce, Rogelio and Nevis), the family of Master Ivan (the Marquise, Miss Miriam) and managers of Cortijo (Don Pedro, the expert and his wife Dona Purita).
• Characters in third place. Their presence, though accidental, is essential to understand the complexity and social themes of the novel. In this group are the rest of the servants, Master de la Jara and guests of the owners, and those characters outside the farms that maintain an incidental contact with the main characters: Manolo, the doctor, the Hashemite, the Wizard of Almendral orMrs. educators bring to the farm. The conflict over the nature of the characters is raised through a frontal opposition between two sets of characters. Sobejano has simple characters and characters enomine vain.
• Characters simple. It is the most representative block of narrative Delibes.
- They are characters in a state of purity. Delibes's preference for the world of children is justified by the fact that in children is where the author is best represented a set of feelings that have not suffered adulteration.
- They tend to be disinherited of fortune, both biological (mentally deficient:
Azariah, the Girl Girl) and, above all, socially.
- Suffer poverty because of situations in which they are not guilty, and suffer from loneliness,
as a result of societal discrimination or misunderstood progress, have not been taught.
- The close relationship with the environment gives them a wisdom that people have not uprooted it. These people give more importance to knowledge than knowledge. This group includes the names of Azariah, Paco, Lower, as well as family members of Paco, and the remaining farmhouses humble servants.
• Characters in vain. The most characteristic features of these characters are the EXT:
- They tend to be socially well-off(Master Ivan)
- They are inauthentic behavior paradigm is notable for its desire to seem, to exhibit qualities alleged that, most of the time, are signs of personal shortcomings. They added other negative characteristics selfishness (exclusive concern for one's own welfare), pettiness, arrogance, intolerance, inhumanity and contempt for those around them.
- The author's attitude toward them is a complaint, but also of compassion. At LSI, Master Ivan, the Marquesa, the guests and the young gentleman of La Jara embody the type of characters in vain. The confrontation between simple characters and characters in vain is a key to the conflict in the novel. Do not forget, however, that the work has a clearsocial intention. The situation is marked by injustice, oppression (is perceived from the perspective of readers, not the characters). The character spans are reluctant to understand the situation of the poor. They act as true owners of the fate of others. The simple character, for lack of scope, through ignorance or resignation are doomed to remain in their condition of serfdom. This novel is more noticeable than in other Delibes how futile the characters become oppressors and the oppressed in singles. Delibes faces two conflicting worlds, the natural order, associated with rural life and the chaos and uncomprehending stupidity associated with urban culture, which carry higher characters. This nfrentamiento, however, not shown in the form of aManichaeism rigid, in which country men and always represent all the goodness and innocence, and urban civilization in its entirety, the forces of deterioration and destruction.
It is true that, overall, the novel expresses some willingness Manichean, but it is not
less certain that the author has tried to overcome the opposition between good and bad by
inclusion of other characters more complex profiles. LSI are polarized in two attitudes: one that is consistent with the nature and which corrupts or profane. Without Mbarga these attitudes are graded on the characters oppressors.
- Don Pedro, the expert. It is the pivotal figure between vassals and lords. Delibes he has focused on two conditions oppressorand victim. It is an oppressor because, as a member of a higher class, abused and Paco Régula docility to exploit their daughter, Nevis, as a servant, besides making mockery of the girl is attempting to make their First Communion, but is while, the victim: as a member of a lower class, is vexed by Ivan, who laughs at his wife's infidelity, an affair of which he has been an agent.
- Miss Miriam. Demonstrates a social conscience. Is appalled at the misery that surrounds the servants and out in defense of the legitimate aspiration of Nevis to the Communion.
- Rene, the French. It also has a social conscience. He never came back to the farm after the "brawl" that was put together by their views on the culture of the poor and to contemplate the sad episode of firms-doodle in the dining room of Casa Grande. Among the poor, the Quirce is the only one who expresses awillingness to break with the status of submission in which the family lives. Not shown flattering nor acquiescent with Master Ivan: do not talk to him or accept his gift. Also other characters in the third level help to mitigate Manichaeism: the Hashemite, the Magician, the doctor or teachers - Master Luke and Master Gabriel. No previous presentation of the characters in the story: suddenly burst on the scene of the events as if always be part of them. And this could mean a defect, it is difficulty, because art Delibes accommodates them in action in a nutshell. Thus, the reader is familiar with them immediately. If we were to rank that symbolically represent the key characters, we would say that the Marquise (owner) would be the epitome of injustice), Ivan, that of oppression, Azariah, the innocence, and Paco, the resignation.
ANALYSIS OF THE CHARACTERS
Azariah Azariah Maybe that justifies the character, along with the Girl Child, the
fact that the novel should have that title so beautiful and developer of The ANTOS innocent. It becomes the symbol of the instinctive union with nature. Your feelings are as basic as those of domestic birds. Through the milana, Azariah is part of the flock of birds, delves into his kingdom and somehow becomes a creature more. It is a creature of instinct, for whom the universe has the outline of a farmhouse and life the only way to give and receive affection, he concentrates on his milana. It has three essential characteristics:
- It is "innocent"in a double sense: it is not aware of causing injury and suffers a
- It's old: "To San Eutiquio sixty-two years";
- Is an outcast among the poor inhabitants of the estates, a person who
remain masters of charity.
These three aspects are expressed repeatedly:
a) In its prosopography, which include extreme poverty (leading to the knees patched trousers, fly without buttons, etc..; some animalisation: salivilla chewed, rutaba, Arrua (such as wild boar), the dirt-wet the hands to you
cracking, had lice, had to relieve anywhere ...; theexcesses committed: the "lazy" (a disorder that is solved when intestinal Azaris evacuated).
In the traits of his character (etopeya), denoting:
- An instinctive behavior and mechanics. In the farm of La Jara did every day as
same: polished gentleman's car, took care of five dogs to the farm, turkeys loosened the oaks, wet hands, had the caps on the valves ...
- Ignorance. The counting of the caps on the valves or the panochas denotes its
- Mental disturbance. He suffers hallucinations in spring, in which it appears your
Irenaeus late brother, who says that "Franco sent him to heaven." However, it shows, more than other characters, Primary human feelings. Because fear. The scenes in which the owl goes for a run are among the most accomplished of Delibes regarding the translation of the experience of fear, as has bituak in his stories and novels. Another is the tenderness, the Azariah instinctively perceived neglect they suffer by their peers. Therefore took refuge in nature and clings to the only company that does not show scorn or suspicion: the "Milan".
THE MILAN. Substantial part of the life of Azariah and constitute real characters.
For other characters are "carrion", while for Azariah be worth more than any
human. In Milanas Azariah possibility of communication is(he calls and animals
answer quickly) and thanks .. About them, entimiento s also experiences sadness at the death. A test of the embodiment of Milan is the burial of the Grand Duke, as if it were a human being. Another test is the final crime: the grajeta has much value for him who is able to kill a person for her. Azariah not kill the gentleman because he considers that it is oppressive, but because in his view of life, the Milan is better than a man.
Delibes get together beautifully in the tenderness of Azariah to Milan and La Nina
Girl. In a highly symbolic event to Milan to bury, then press
against his chest disjointed body of the girl Girl and mutter "milana bonita" in a
replacement of the object becomes affective milana any being inofensivo.Laanimalisation the character and the personification of animals come together in the love of Azariah, in his gestures and his language.
PACO THE LOW. This character takes dual role: firstly, is the paradigm of
mode, life of the farm servants, and at the same time is very well characterized individual endowed with peculiar features. The aspect of his behavior stands out most is submission. Naturally assumes his serfdom. Paco is the most humiliated and at the same time, the most admired by the sedñorito Ivan, This is because it forces him to behave like an effective and indispensable dog in the hunting.Accepts humiliation involved the isolation of being five years in the La Raya Abendújar, accepts resignation that her daughter, Nevis, will serve house expert. Its dependence on the master is huge: at sixteen criticizes tutearle Paco ( "today in front of you and Master Ivan), accepts his tip after each hunt, is subjected to the humiliation of the firms in the dining room to accommodate him takes physical risks (have two serious accidents) ...
His skills are signs of wisdom and wit The short nose has a wonderful smell
for hunting, something that causes the admiration of the young master and his guests can take the mental computation of all hunted game. To that unites their knowledge of animal behavior. The replicas that gives literacy (Master Luke) are signs of a true genius.
Share the passion for the game of Master Ivan, come to share also the language of
vanity Master accustomed to after each hunt, accepts, in short, blind the pigeon with the mandate of the Master.
It is peaceful and resignedly accepts everything willingly and without complaint ( "ae, to command, that
for that we are "is the usual response of Paco regulate or whenever required by the lords or Don Pedro, the expert. It has, finally, details of undoubted human quality, eagerly want their children achieve a better future through education. It is, along with relevant regulations, a model of neighborly love. Maintains an attitude toward Azariahunderstanding and caring.
IVAN THE SEÑORITO. In Ivan quitaesenciado Delibes has the mentality and behavior
Master Franco to verge on caricature: there are vanity and cynicism, his cocky swagger, his arrogance and protectionism debasing .. It is a monolithic character: because in it all are flaws: arrogance and callous disregard for the plight of others, flaunt their social hegemony and defend socio-economic organization that perpetuates a top and press down just for the love of those above and the servile domesticity from below.
Assumes its masters. Hismentality "feudal" takes you:
- To establish continuing dependence relates s of his servants. From "little one"
Paco takes as secretary of hunting and being educated for it.
- To maintain at all times, with a conservative approach, the "hierarchy": (...) a
below and above is a fact of life right? ". Is a total lack of social conscience to the humble. Why bother both the Second Vatican Council "malmete them." His temper authoritarian Paco Forces to treat you as a boy, the Quirce refuses him a twenty dollars, which is to disrespect Ivan, a sign of disobedience, since "the most and the least we all have to obey a hierarchy, one beneath and above, is' living law "requires to perform the act Nieves servile remove the boots. Sometimes this attitude is accompanied by a paternalism or reinforces his status as master. Another of his negative traits is vanity. This leads him to adopt an attitude of contempt for insulting his servants, but also to their guests. ( "Master Ivan for everyone who grabbed a gun was a fag, not the word that was falling from the lips, what a mania for the adulation that they do not get it, as when the Quirce refuses to take the current, feels humiliated and humiliating come Nieves. His passion for hunting uncontrolledassumes, first, contempt for Nature (read the scene where, on a fateful morning, he starts shooting left and right. Stresses, finally, his cynical behavior. Their status as master also excels in its flirtation with Dona Purita. It relates to her naturally, as if right to use the wife of his confidant.
Characters in second and third level
We have already referred to Don Pedro, the expert (the oppressor-oppressed), prisoner of jealousy and powerlessness, and Miss Miriam (a sign of social consciousness among the wealthy) and Quirce (symbol of insubordination and the humble antisedentarismo .
RegulaPaco is the wife of the Low. indefatigable worker, comes to represent the social conscience of his family from despotic irrationality of Master Ivan. . Want your child goes to school Nievas, timidly dare to reprimand the chief ( "a view that will give us that feeling, Master Ivan, quiet, even, I will return integer"), advises his children, and deals with a family in which two members, Nina Chica and Azariah, require a special dedication. He worked as an animal, because in doing so has "the thumb flat, flat, without fingerprints." Among the serfs, regulates it means, finally, love of neighbor and willingness to serve.
The Girl Child is one of the most achieved. His "innocence" is a
infirmity patent (wild eyes, "wire legs," "rag head" moves
as the H and dirty often. It is the most impressive image
degradation. Perhaps most startling is her "plaintive wail".
Rogelio deals with the tractor and understands the mechanics as anyone. It also deals with his uncle, Azariah (it takes on the tractor, seeks to entertain ...). It found signs of
touch with progress and feelings of affection for the needy. Among the masters, the Marquise has a paternalistic attitude of apparent protection to the humble, but actually reflects the desire to demonstrate to them their social position.
Dona Purita is an example of frivolity. His dalliances, his gestures, his attitude toward Don Pedro shows a woman with one intention: the courtship of the young master Ivan.
Among the serfs, there is a gallery of characters who report activities
farmhouse, swineherds, herders, laborers, etc. .. Among the masters, we referred to the detached attitude of Rene, the French. Other distinguished guests round-features conservative ideology, lack of social conscience - that are characteristic of the masters. Other characters show us some facets of life around the farm houses: the Wizard of Almendral reveals the humble belief in the folk medicine and the advice of seers, the literacy not have a good education, a merchant, the Hashemite gives good advice to the humble Manolo Cordobilla physician, it is closer to Master Ivan.